In a message dated 12/10/2008 6:25:17 P.M.
Central Standard Time, Karen Cantner writes:
We have suffered a terrible, terrible tragedy last Wednesday
two, beloved Cavaliers of mine, Haley and Zoe both ate potpourri from a decorative basket in my
Within hours, they were vomiting it, convulsing and going into total body rigidity and shock. We took them to the after hours clinic, they had no idea what it could be and wouldn't listen to me about them vomiting potpourri at home and how I had such concerns about the
toxic effects of it. They treated symptoms.
We transferred them to our day vet. He also wouldn't listen to me
about the potpourri theory. He said they had "strychnine" poisoning
symptoms. I kept telling him that the potpourri was Made In
sold by a company in
California and sold at my local WalMart. My heart told me that it was the culprit of their condition.
They declined rapidly throughout the day and we transferred them back to the after hours clinic for a second night. At midnight, I made the
agonizing decision to put them to sleep. Haley was in constant
seizures that wouldn't stop, fluid was filling up in her lungs, body temp was dropping on both of them, Zoe was lying almost lifeless on
the table, struggling with every breath she took. Every muscle was
completely rigid, you couldn't even move her.
I have devoted the last couple of days (now that I can get out of bed
and function) to researching my concerns with the potpourri and have
since found out I was right; there is a lab in
England that has case studies on toxic potpourri from India!! The
toxin.... strychnine , which in it's commercial source, comes from a
certain tree grown in India. I am completely heart broken over this.
Please be aware of the potential toxins in any and all stuff like
this in our homes. I would've never guessed this could happen but
when I saw them both "playing" in the potpourri and then after about
two hours saw the symptoms of a poisoning, I just put two and two
together. Hug your babies, Love them and always take lots of photos
along the way...it helps later on, trust me.
Karen Cantner, Heartland Kennels,
Evansville , Indiana USA
Permission to cross post - should be unedited and sent in it's
entirety with her contact info.
I am not a licensed vet, nor am I trying to practice medicine
without a license, nor am I advising you on how to take care, treat,
or work/handle your animals. I'm simply sharing with you this email.